12 Things that Turn Home Buyers Off
20 December 2017
To achieve this, make sure that your investment property has the right features, and nothing that will turn them off. Here are some things that should not be in the property that you’re trying to sell:
- Outdated kitchen and bathroom - These two areas can make or break a deal, so make sure that your kitchen and bathroom are spacious and clean, with freshly-painted walls and free of clutter.
- Poor choice of paint colours - In general, it’s best to go for a more neutral colour scheme for the exterior part of the house so it can appeal to a wider market.
- No natural lighting - Having enough natural light makes a room look brighter and more spacious. A gloomy room will not help you get prospective buyers.
- Overgrown yard - As a seller, you want to make a first good impression, and having a yard that’s badly maintained will not be helpful. The same holds true for a barren yard.
- Lack of parking space - One major turn-off for many people when looking for their next home is a lack of parking space. If there’s none, a selling point can be proximity to public transport or another parking option that’s available near the house.
- Clutter - Let buyers imagine what the house will look like if they live there. Make it easy for them to do this by removing your stuff from the house.
- Lack of storage - Whether it’s a small or a big house, storage space will always be a necessity. Make sure that every room has enough storage space.
- Pets - During a viewing, make sure to remove your dog or cat from the house. No matter how well-behaved your pet is, some buyers may get scared or distracted.
- Colours that are too striking - Not a lot of people want a purple sofa or a red chair. Cater to a wider audience by using neutral colours on your furniture and other household items.
- Wallpapers and borders - Just like “strong” colours, wallpapers and borders may be too much for some people, unless these are in neutral colours as well.
- Damp, mould, unpleasant odours, dirt - No one wants to buy a house that has mould or is dirty. Make sure to clean the house thoroughly before accepting any buyers for a visit.
- Collections - Your collection of toys or travel souvenirs may mean a lot to you, but that will not be the case for other people. Pack them away before listing your property up for sale.